Wednesday 10 February 2010

Omote-sando and shibuya (japan @ 10mm)

Ok so i slept in a little and i was unsure what to do today, so i put on BBC's 'Japanorama' presented by the awsome Johnathan Ross and 1/2 through one of episodes he mentioned and i quote "Here's a bold statement for you, Japanese architects are the most ordatious and inventive in the world today" he then goes on to say the best collection is in the Omote-sando district. So this was my plan for the day, i reliease that it is not so far from Shibuya and if i had known about it better i would maybe have just walked from shibuya one day. I guess part of my trip is to explore Japan for myself rather than only visit the best places in my guide book, which i have seen all i that interests me accept the Leica Gallary in Ginza.

My 20mm Lumix lens would be nice for shooting but i wanted to go even wider so what better excuse than to actually use the D70 on my 10mm lens. I also plan to take shots with the Nikon on Akiba with my 50mm as i always thought this lens handled lighting really well.

Here are a few i took on my wonderings
ah as my room is small the 10mm really helps to show the place as a whole something which my other shots couldn't
DSC_0001

my room dosen't seam that small to me, the floor is 6 tatami mats, where as my room at home would only be about 4.
DSC_0003

my flat mate told me that Oshiage where we are living is sometimes refered to as 'the country side' to people living in inner-tokyo, something which i find halerious when i go outside and see a 30-40+ floor building. As i live in the countryside, and my view from home is just of fields its really hits home how urban inner Tokyo is.
DSC_0006

The 10mm is great for showing the streets of Tokyo i need to shoot more with it i think. This is the view of a street i need to walk down everyday to get to the station. It is about 400m long, and has 2 vending machines along the path. If you take the parallel street there are another 2 machines. Also one evening i was walking down and noticed they were tarmacing the road fresh, they were finished in a night. This just shows the speed of their workmanship. In England (i cant say for the larger cities) but in my small town the main road into town was tarmaced it took them a week during the summer and it was about the same distance as here.
DSC_0008

DSC_0017

the TV mast which is being build will be the largest in Japan, im not sure how much further they are building but they will be another 2 years before completion so i can imagine a lot higher!
DSC_0018

DSC_0021

DSC_0022

DSC_0030

DSC_0031

DSC_0037

DSC_0042

DSC_0046

DSC_0053

DSC_0056

DSC_0057

stupid dirty sensor!
DSC_0062

DSC_0064

DSC_0071

As night time game i decided to walk to a close station, i got a few 10mm street shot, then headed towards shibuya to try capture the crossing at night with the wide-angle.
DSC_0073

DSC_0079

this woman looked tired she was walking all the time with her head down and walking while resting on her handled bag
DSC_0082

bridge over road crossing in Shibuya
DSC_0092

Japan's take on Abby Road ^_-
DSC_0098

stickers and graff in the youthful Shibuya
DSC_0100

mass's of people crossing before dark
DSC_0107

DSC_0113

DSC_0122

the streets come alive at night, i find Tokyo so much nicer at night
DSC_0124

long exposure of the crowds
DSC_0137

DSC_0140

this is my best shot of the crossing you can almost see the whole roads on the 10mm
DSC_0145